Things about Govardhan nobody would tell you | Bike Rides

Bike Ride to Govardhan | Govardhan Parikrama


Hey Friends are you looking forward to visit Govardhan, to do parikrama around the Goverdhan Hill. If yes, you are at the right place, I will share my experiences and would act as a guide for you.


I always wanted to visit Govardhan, to do the 20+ kms parikrama or circumambulation around the famous hill. But do you know, what is so famous in that Hill.

Guys, this is the Hill which Lord Shri Krishna lifted on his finger to help the villagers from the rains of Indra's fury.

Enroute - Govardhan - Bike Ride
Enroute - Govardhan


I finally got a chance and I started off my journey from New Delhi at around 2:00 PM in the afternoon by my Royal Enfield. Govardhan is around 160 kms from my place in New Delhi. There are two ways of reaching this place, first one being from the Yamuna Expressway and the second one from the old Mathura Highway. I took the latter one which is from Gurgaon, Faridabad, Palwal, Hodal, Kosi Kalan and finally there is a diversion for Govardhan on the left. I took my first pitstop at Palwal, where I stopped to have a cup of tea and moved on. I reached Goverdhan at around 5:30 PM in the evening.

Did you know that one would find a lot of Ashrams at this place and if you request one of the owners of the Ashram, they would let you live free here. I requested one of Sadhu's and he agreed to accommodate me for a night, condition that I would not booze or eat non-vegetarian food. I agreed to his conditions.
The Ashram people served me with food and advised me that after dinner I should do the Parikrama at night.

Silent Roads - Parikrama Marg, Govardhan
Silent Roads - Parikrama Marg, Govardhan


I thought it to be wise decision as this would save me from the Sun. I started off my Parikrama from Dan Ghati. There is a temple dedicated to the Govardhan Hill and people offer milk to the deity in the temple. After I offered my prayers at the temple I moved on to continue with my 20+ kms Parikrama. I had tea at one of the Dhabas along the hill. One would find many temples around the Parikrama Marg. To name a few:

1) Mukharbind
2) Haridev Temple
3) Kusum Sarovar
4) Mansi Ganga Temple

Monkey Family - Mansi Ganga - Govardhan
Monkey Family - Mansi Ganga


The route of the Parikrama crosses through some places in Rajasthan as well. The town was very silent at night. I was able to complete the Parikrama in 3.5 hours and I reached Ashram at around 12 at night. As I was tired, I dozed off quickly in my cozy bed.

As I woke up in the morning, I was able to see many monkeys at the Periphery of the hill. I had my breakfast and left the Ashram after thanking the Sadhu who was such a great host. I had the famous Kachoris and lassi in Kullar (Utensil made of Mud, like an earthen pot). I also had the pedas and moved towards Delhi. I reached Delhi at around 05:00 PM with just one Pitstop for refueling.

This bought me to the end of the journey to the famous Parikrama of the Goverdhan Hill. One should visit this place to get some peace of the busy schedule of our lives in Delhi.


Thanks for reading guys and stay tuned for more blogs. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment